What does the Treasurer do?
The Washington County Treasurer is the disbursement officer of the county. Duties include:
- Receiving revenue from local, state and federal agencies
- Distributing money to Washington County taxing entities
- Accurate accounting of all receipts and disbursements
- Securing county funds that are above FDIC limits
- Investing county funds
- Preparing and signing checks for employees and creditors of the county
- Reconciling bank statements monthly to ensure balance accuracy
- Projecting revenue for upcoming year during annual budget process
- Presenting monthly financial reports to the Quorum Court on the county's fiscal condition
Where do my tax dollars go?
While property taxes vary slightly depending on where you live in the county, around 80¢ for every dollar you pay goes to schools. The rest goes to roads, libraries, public safety, and other local government services.