Visitor/Citizen Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Voter Registration

Who Can Vote
Any person who is a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age before the election, with a valid ID, and registered to vote in Washington County may vote. Convicted felons cannot vote unless their sentence has been discharged or pardoned.

Who Can Register To Vote
You must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years of age before the election; you need not be 18 at the time you register, but must be by the time you vote.

How And When To Register
The National Voter Registration Act (NVRA) has made it possible for Arkansans to apply to register to vote or change a name or address when applying for or renewing their driver's license or state identification card at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. A resident may register to vote in person at the County Clerk's Office, or register
to vote by mail. A pre-addressed Voter Registration Application is filled out and mailed to the Secretary of State's Office where it is then forwarded to the appropriate County Clerk. The applications are available at all participating State Service Agencies, Armed Forces Recruitment and Arkansas National Guard Offices in Washington County and Public Libraries. Most City Clerk's Offices in Washington County also provide voter registration application forms To make a name or address change or if you have any questions concerning
voting or voter registration call the County Clerk's office at 479-444-1711.

When Can You Vote
You must have applied to register to vote 30 calendar days prior to an election to be able to vote in that election. If you have not received confirmation from your County Clerk concerning your voting status within ten days of applying, call the County Clerk's office at 479-444-1711 immediately.

Absentee And Early Voting
You may vote by mail, using an absentee ballot, any time an election is to be held and you realize you will be unable to go to the polls. An absentee ballot may be obtained from the County Clerk's Office, by mail, in person, or through a designated agent. Completed and mailed absentee ballots must reach the County Clerk's Office by 7:30 p.m. on Election Day.

You may also vote early at the County Clerk's Office up to 15 days prior to Election day.

The polls on Election Day are open from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.


Driver's License
For new residents, a valid driver's license from another state will be recognized by the State of Arkansas for up to 30 working days.

To obtain a new Arkansas driver's license, one of the following procedures is required: (1) An out-of-state driver's license or a clearance letter from the previous state and 2 proofs of I.D; (2) For new drivers, a written examination and vision test. Instruction permits and driver examinations are administered at the Arkansas State Police Headquarters, 4401 W. Sunset, Springdale. Licenses may be purchased Monday through Friday, 8:00-3:00. For additional information regarding a driver's license, call CDL Testing Center at (501) 751-3619.

Auto License
An auto license must be purchased within 30 days of establishing residency in Arkansas. It is obtainable Monday through Friday at the State Revenue Offices in Fayetteville, Springdale, Lincoln, and on Wednesday in West Fork.

Until January 1, 1998, the following documents are necessary to purchase a license: proof of automobile insurance, showing expiration date of policy and vehicle identification number; certificate of title and odometer statement; paid receipt for personal property taxes or, of a new resident, proof that personal property declaration has been made; a lien contract, when applicable, or a bill of sale for a newly purchased vehicle.

On and after January 1, 1998, provisions of Act 974 of 1997 will allow the registration of a vehicles by phone, electronically, or by other reasonable methods, and will repeal the requirement that proof of liability insurance be shown at registration.

Personal property is assessed Monday through Friday at the County Assessor's Office, Washington County Courthouse, 280 North College Avenue, Fayetteville; County Assessor's Office, City Hall, 262 West Main, in West Fork on Wednesdays; or at the State Revenue Offices in Springdale and Lincoln.
For additional information regarding an auto license, call the Fayetteville State Revenue Office at (501) 442-7691.

Animal Licenses
Each city in Washington County has its own ordinances concerning the licensing of animals within its city limits. Call your City Administration Office for details.


Real & Personal Property Taxes
Property taxes in Arkansas are classified as real or personal. Real property taxes are levied on real estate, such as land, homes, other buildings, and on additions to these properties. Personal property taxes are levied on automobiles, boats, trailers, farm equipment and livestock, etc.

Between January 1 and May 31 of each year, it is the responsibility of Arkansas property owners to list and value all their personal property in the County and School District where the property is located. Property assessed after May 31, unless acquired after that date, is subject to a delinquency penalty of 10-percent. Any property newly acquired between January 1 and May 31 must be assessed by May 31.

Real and personal property taxes become payable the first business day in March the year after assessment and are delinquent after October 10 of that year. There is a 10-percent penalty for delinquent taxes, plus interest on real estate. If you do not receive a tax notice by March 15 or have any questions, call the County Tax Collector's Office at (501) 444-1526.

Real and personal property may be assessed Monday through Friday at the County Assessor's Office, Washington County Courthouse, 280 North College Avenue, Fayetteville; County Assessor's Office, City Hall, 262 West Main, in West Fork on Wednesdays; or at the State Revenue Offices in Springdale and Lincoln.

State Income Tax
The deadline for filing Arkansas State income tax returns in May 15.

Emergency Phone Numbers

For any type of emergency service, anywhere in Washington County, dial 9-1-1. This includes fire, police, sheriff and ambulance. Non-emergency numbers for municipal governments are listed in local telephone directories.