Washington County Planning and AOS Planning Application
The Planning Application project: funded in August 2013; completed May, 2014.
The project has been an overwhelming success. The achievements of this application are numerous, but among the primary accomplishments:
- Able to tie together existing data from County, state, and federal agencies into self populating fields within the application which eliminates time spent acquiring and entering crucial information for each project that comes through our office doors
- Significantly decreases the time it takes to do some routine tasks
- the average staff time to complete an administrative lot split has been taken from 45 minute to 15 minutes
- The average time to produce notifications for neighboring properties (of proposed developments) has been taken from an average of 2 hours to 30 minutes
- Significantly less room for human error in all aspects of our work
- Ability to create reports that can provide quick assessments and statistics that are needed on a frequent basis
- Much better historical record keeping
- Real time integration with other County Offices (i.e. Road, addressing, and Assessor’s data)
- Automatic generation of mapping data for all developments
- Ability to run geographic queries based on other information at the project level
This success is primarily attributable to the County Planning Department’s staff (Phuong Pham, Sarah Geurtz, and Courtney McNair) who worked tirelessly to communicate every aspect of our needs, and then tested and performed trouble shooting on the application implementation.
The success would also not have been possible without the County IT Department’s participation in the ongoing meetings with the consultants. To perform integration of County-wide data from other offices, the IT Department had to orchestrate and troubleshoot the technical sides of connecting internal systems and running updates on multiple systems. They were also invaluable on coaching Planning Staff through the possibilities of our new application (allowing us to ultimately obtain far more functionality that we had even dreamed), and coaching us through best-management practices of long term data integrity through programming.
They also performed the crucial role of communication translation between the contracted software developers and the Planning Department.
This product will serve the County Planning Office well for many, many years to come.